Interview with Singer-Songwriter Brian Callihan
Singer-songwriter Brian Callihan's first single from his upcoming EP,"Broke it Down,"is available now across all digital platforms. The self-produced song was written by Callihan, Harrison Kindy and Larry McCoy (Thomas Rhett "Make Me Wanna"). Stream or download the single, click HERE
Check out our Q& A with Brian about his new single!
1. You are a very talented songwriter, but your singing and performing skills are top notch too. What is your favorite part of the process from beginning to end? What do you find the most challenging?
I enjoy the process of collaborating with other creatives and being able to toss around different ideas and feed off each other’s thoughts. It’s really cool to see the whole process play out, especially when ya have a hit song written. The most challenging part would be staying up to date with all the technologies always changing.
2. We love your newest single, “Broke It Down!" What inspired you to write this particular song?
I had a melody for the song that I brought into the write that day. We were sitting there tossing around hooks and ideas when “Broke It Down” came about. The song pretty much wrote itself once we got started. Everyone has been broken down at one point in their life, so it’s really relatable.
3. So many artists are all dealing with the effects of cancelled gigs and venues due to the COVID-19 pandemic. How are you moving forward with your music during this challenging time, and when will we see the EP?
I’m practicing my social distancing by being outdoors. There’s not many people around ya when you're in the woods hunting.
4. You’ve been co writing with some pretty big names. What has been your most memorable experience thus far?
I would have to say David Lee Murphy. I was always a big fan of his growing up, especially his song “Dust On The Bottle.” So, it was pretty cool to sit down and write a song with him.
5. If you could co-write and/or perform with anyone today who would you choose?
Eric Church or Dierks Bentley. I am a big fan of both of their songwriting styles and how they deliver their songs. And they both have great live shows!
About Brian Callihan:
Born and raised on a small farm in South Georgia, Callihan played baseball and football but found his true passion when he started listening to Keith Whitley. Finding inspiration in Whitley’s Greatest Hits, he purchased a guitar (with extra money earned from catching overpopulated wild hogs on the weekends) and began playing and writing his own music. In 2009, Callihan moved to Nashville where he began co-writing with Cole Swindell, Josh Thompson, Adam Sanders and other hit Nashville singer-songwriters. In 2011, the hard work paid off when Callihan signed his first publishing deal. Since then, he has written songs that have been recorded and performed by Cole Swindell, Dylan Scott, Trent Tomlinson, Halfway To Hazard and many others. As an artist, Callihan has shared the stage with many mainstream country music artists and has played major festivals such as CMA Fest, Key West Songwriters Festival and The Suwannee River Jam.
Brian Cahill's Website: https://www.briancallihan.com/